Thursday, July 3, 2014

Density and Divinity

Pelvis, Georgia O'Keeffe


There must be words to describe
these fractures in the frame of perfection.

You say, Fractures are not often
viewed in a beautiful light.

I say, Yes, but sometimes they are
just what we need.

Thinking back, I could’ve said, Sometimes, they are
just what I need…

To recognize and acknowledge that
perfect isn’t always desirable.

But, I didn’t say that.
And, I don’t want that moment back.

I write.
The words curve
like the sensuous lines
of a body at ease. I see them
for what they are. Words.
Then. I see them
as a body at ease. Limbs flowing
like ripples of sand that harden
when the tide sinks. The insolent arches.
The mottled pits. A transfiguration.
Real, or imagined?

Futile, this question!

We see what we choose to see.

We sit together and shoot stones at the stars.
Things could be worse, I suppose—the stars
could be shooting stones at us.

The sea gathers itself like a smock of intricate pleats.
The light dissipates like a raging mirage.
We cannot change this.
.
.
.

We can.

We will not change this.

will not...

I will not change the flow of geography.
I will not break the order of the water.
I will not alter the falling shadows’ rest.
I will not stay the voice’s expression.

I lean into the collapsing day
and moan—my body embracing the dark.

I choose.

* * * * * * * * *

NOTE: My first poetry chapbook, From Darkness, Beatitudesis available from Finishing Line Press.

8 comments:

Shadow said...

love the flow of your words.

S. Susan Deborah said...

Love the way you twist and twirl the thoughts and words. We can choose!

Hope you are well and happy, dear Nevine.

Joy always,
Susan

Nevine Sultan said...

Thank you, Shadow.

Nevine Sultan said...

Susan, it's so lovely of you to visit. Thank you for the sweet words, and joy back to you, dear.

steveroni said...

OOOOUU! That line shivered me timbers--"...sea gathers itself like a smock of intricate pleats..." EXQUISITE! This piece read like some private thoughts.
Perfection--elusive, yet some seek it with passionate persistence.

Really good to read you again, Queen Nevine!

Man Named Kim said...

"we sit together and shoot stones at the stars" YES!

awareness, surrender...growth.

Nevine Sultan said...

I've learned that seeking perfection "with passionate persistence" delivers brutal blows to the joy of the living, breathing moment. Oh, life! So good to see you here, Steve!

Nevine Sultan said...

YES. Insight, Kim... You embody it, my fellow poet!